BUS308 Week 2 Discussion Forum
BUS308 Week 2 Discussion Forum
Hypothesis Testing: Case Problem PAR Inc. [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, watch the Week 2 Introduction (Links to an external site.) video, and read Chapters 9 and 10 in the MindTap ebook by clicking on the Getting Ready link for each perspective chapter.
Step 1: Read:
- Review from Chapter 10 in the ebook.
Step 2: Do:
- Run the t-Test: Two-Sample Assuming Unequal Variances for the Data File Golf (Chapter 10) using the video How to Add Excel’s Data Analysis ToolPak (Links to an external site.) for assistance.
In a managerial report, use the methods of hypothesis testing to
- Formulate and present the rationale for a hypothesis test that Par could use to compare the driving distances of the current and new golf balls.
- Analyze the data to provide the hypothesis testing conclusion. What is the p-value for your test? What is your recommendation for Par, Inc.?
- Provide descriptive statistical summaries of the data for each model.
- Explain what the 95% confidence interval is for the population mean driving distance of each model, and explain what the 95% confidence interval is for the difference between the means of the two populations.
- Discuss whether you see a need for larger sample sizes and more testing with the golf balls.
Step 3: Discuss
Based on your hypothesis testing conclusion, what are your recommendations for Par, Inc? Support your recommendations with findings from your managerial report.
BUS308 Week 2 Discussion Forum Guided Response: Review several of your peer’s posts. In a minimum of 100 words each, respond to at least two of your fellow students’ posts in a substantive manner, and provide information that they may have missed or may not have considered regarding the application of hypothesis testing in business and economics. Do you agree with their conclusions? Why or why not?
You are encouraged to post your required replies earlier in the week to promote more meaningful and interactive discourse in this discussion forum. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) on Day 7, and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post. BUS308 Week 2 Discussion Forum
PAR Inc. has applied a coating to its golf balls with the intent of creating a more durable golf ball. Researchers at PAR Inc were worried that the new coating might hamper the distance the ball would travel through the air. It was decided that a mechanical hitting machine would strike 40 balls with the new coating and compare the results to the machine hitting 40 balls made in the current model. To determine if the new coating would impact the drive distance of PAR Inc.’s golf balls, the null hypothesis would be that the mean drive distance for the current model, 270 yards, and the alternative hypothesis would be greater than or equal to the current model mean. For the new coating to be comparable in performance to the current model, the mean driving distance should be the same or more significant.