HUM 1020 Week 4
HUM 1020 Week 4
Respond: Having read about the Spanish-American War and studied the political cartoons of the era, what do these cartoons tell you about America in the 1890s? What were some of the unintended consequences of American imperialism, and how do these cartoons highlight those? Why do you suppose that the United States, which had fought so hard for its own independence from colonial rule just a little over a century earlier, was not willing to grant independence to the island territories that it acquired from Spain at the end of the war? According to the cartoons, what reason did the United States have for holding on to the territories? What were some objections to those reasons?
Please write a thoughtful response to these questions, and/or feel free to explore other ideas that you may have related to the Spanish-American War and American imperialism. Your paper should be about one page, double-spaced (around 250-300 words). This is not a research paper, and there is no expectation of further research. I want you to grapple with these ideas yourself, thinking about the historical context of the Spanish-American War and its legacy for American foreign policy.
- 250-300 words (approx. one page typed, double-spaced).
- Support any general points you make or attitudes you express with specific reasons and details.
- Organize your thoughts into coherent paragraphs. Use transitions to make the relationships among ideas in the paper clear.
- Edit the paper carefully for errors in grammar, mechanics, punctuation, word use, and spelling.
- Do not quote from the textbook or other sources—use your own words.
- Cite the source of any paraphrased ideas or information.
- You may use Chicago/Turabian, APA, or MLA Style—Choose the one you prefer, and use it consistently and properly.
- HCC Library Citation Guides (Links to an external site.)
Submit HUM 1020 Week 4
The Spanish-American War was a battle amongst the United States and Spain in 1898 that resulted in the U.S. gaining ground in the western Pacific and Latin America and concluded the colonial rule of the Spanish….