ANT 101 Week 2 Discussion 1
Roots of Prejudice and American Dialects [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review the following Required Resources:
- Chapters 3 and 4 of the textbook
- A Class Divided (Links to an external site.)
- How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk (Links to an external site.)
Note: Should a pay requestor pop up indicating that you have exceeded your quota of article viewing, simply access the resource after switching your browser to InPrivate mode (IE browser), Private mode (Firefox browser), or Incognito mode (Chrome browser).
Choose one of the following two options to address in this discussion. Be sure that your initial post meets the full length requirement of 300 words, and that you incorporate at least two of this week’s required resources in your post, one of which should be the textbook. Include citations and a full reference to your chosen sources. (See the Required Resources page for all references in APA format).
Option 1: Watch the A Class Divided (Links to an external site.) documentary, then
- Explain the exercise that Jane Elliot did with her students.
- Were you surprised at how quickly the children began to treat each other differently after they were told that children with a certain eye color were superior or inferior?
- How do you think prejudiced views develop and persist over time?
- Is there anything that could be done to eliminate prejudice?
- What role does education play in this?
Option 2: Take the interactive dialect quiz, How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk (Links to an external site.), then address the following:
- What areas of the US most closely matched your dialect? Include a screenshot or link to your map if you would like to share it.
- Did your results match up with where you currently live or where you have lived before?
- Were there any questions where you had no word for the item described?
- When answering the questions, were there any options listed that you’d never heard anyone use before?
- What does this quiz tell you about different dialects and cultures within the US?
- Does your use of language feel more “right” or “normal” than others’? If so, why do you think this is?
Guided Response: Review several of your peers’ posts and respond to at least two peers by Day 7. Respond to at least one student who chose a different option than you. Choose a student who has not received peer feedback if at all possible. If your instructor responds to your post, please respond to him or her. Each response to a peer should be a minimum of 75 words. Be sure to relate your discussion back to the course materials and move the conversation forward by asking a question, raising a new point, or elaborating more thoroughly upon a point already raised. Continue to monitor the discussion forum until 5:00 p.m. (Mountain Time) on Day 7, and respond with robust dialogue to anyone who replies to your initial post. ANT 101 Week 2 Discussion 1