NURS 3100 Week 5 Assignment Answer: Maintaining Academic Integrity by Avoiding Plagiarism
In Week 3, you reviewed the Academic Integrity portion of Walden’s Code of Conduct and signed a Promise to Practice According to Walden’s Code for Academic Integrity. As a nurse, you are empowered by practicing with the HIGHEST standards in both your nursing and academic writing practices.
This week, you will learn about plagiarism and ways to strengthen your academic writing integrity. As a future nurse scholar-practitioner, you want to have the skill-set to successfully propose changes for quality and safety in healthcare. Your integrity in the collection and sharing of this evidence is foundational to successfully supporting your propositions to change practice.
You want to be adequately prepared to successfully propose changes for quality and safety in healthcare. Your integrity in the collection and sharing of this evidence is foundational to successfully supporting your propositions to change practice.
According to the Walden Writing Center (2017), plagiarism is when an author represents someone else’s intellectual property as his or her own work. Authors are most commonly at risk of plagiarizing when they fail to adequately cite the original source material from which they took words and ideas. Plagiarism can occur in many forms and can range from a lack of citations to incorrect paraphrasing or actual direct copy and pasting of a source’s phrasing into another author’s own paper. (para 1)
Keyways to avoid plagiarizing are as follows:
- Paraphrase your sources. Paraphrasing means rewriting your source’s content into your own words and NOT using direct quotes or cutting and pasting from sources.
- Synthesize the reading material. Throughout your program, focus on synthesizing more than paraphrasing. Thus, by graduation, you will be at the point where you can collect all pertinent sources for evidence, read and think about the material, and then synthesize those readings into your OWN words. Again, this process does NOT include the use of direct quotes.
Write with the same level of integrity as you practice your nursing obligations. Cheating is taken seriously at Walden and consequences include expulsion from the program. As a BSN student, avoid plagiarism in your assignments in the following ways.
- Do not use direct quotes.
- Understand that academic writing is about putting forth scholarly opinions in your own words. Provide proof of those opinions by paraphrasing and synthesizing material from scholarly research and professional experts. Throughout the program, focus on synthesizing more than paraphrasing so by graduation you will be at the point where you can collect all pertinent sources of evidence, read and think about the material, and then synthesize those readings into your own words. This process does not include the use of direct quotes.
- Give credit to someone else’s ideas and writings by citing and referencing in APA style.
- Upload all of your assignments to Safe Assign Drafts prior to submitting them for grading.
- Read the Writing Center’s section on Plagiarism found at http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/ASCsuccess/ASCplagiarism
- The Writing Center has developed a Plagiarism Checklist to assist students in double-checking their work and scholarship practices to avoid plagiarism. Download the plagiarism checklist below and use it for each assignment to establish good academic integrity practices! http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/ASCsuccess/ASCplagiarismchecklist
- Read the Writing Center’s section on Paraphrasing and watch the video on Paraphrasing found at http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/evidence/paraphrase/effective
- Read the Writing Center’s section on Synthesizing and watch the video on Synthesizing found at http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/evidence/synthesis
In this Assignment, a) describe how you will avoid plagiarism in your submitted assignments; and b) discuss how paraphrasing and synthesizing professional literature strengthens your future nurse scholar-practitioner practice.
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK05Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK05Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission. NURS 3100 Week 5 Assignment Answer
Click here to Access NURS 3150 Week 4 Assignment